Sunday, August 24, 2008

This I Believe

I believe in giving directions even if I don't know where the place is. It is an act of kindness. The lost person doesn't know where they are going; the least I can do is show that I do care by giving them directions.

What is the worst that could happen? If they get even more lost, they will pobably stumble upon someone who knows the right way. It shows that I care. I care enough about them that I want to help them. Out of thousands of people they asked me. It's my obligation to help them. So what if i don't know where the place is; I just answer with confidence and make sure that I don't lead them into deeper backroads.

The Atlanta rush hour traffic coming through Decatur comes to a halt. A lost family from California asks me how to get to Chamblee. I know what general area Chamblee is in. I have never been. I knew that it was off of Clairemont Road. They are really lost if they are on Memorial Drive and they want to get to Chamblee; but I didn't want to make them feel stupid. So I told them, in a clear voice and in a timely manner so they didn't hold up already backed up traffic; to turn left on Columbia and take it all the way down until it changed into Commerce. Then to take Commerce down to Clairemont and follow it until they find a familiar street. A joy came over me from helping someone in a small way. It gave me a satisfaction that I have never felt before. Helping people made me feel good. It was a forgien feeling but I couldn't help but feel good that I help someone.

Now lucky for them I knew the general area where Chamblee was. Not so for another lost couple.

Standing outside my house a couple pulls up and asks for directions to Virginia Avenue. Virginia Avenue is on the other side of another county. Southwest Atlanta. My face glazes over. It would just be easier to say,"I don't know." But they looked clueless, so I led them to I-85, and hope that they find it. Immediately after they turned around I looked it up on the map. I felt a relief when I saw that Virginia Avenue crossed right over I-85. Once again I felt that satisfaction that I helped someone. Even if it was a small thing as giving directions.

I am human; I get lost in life, and when I do, I need help. It is taken upon those people who don't want to see others fail, to help. It may be because I see myself in that same situation. I try to take it upon myself to be one of those people who helps others when they need help, no matter the problem.

No comments: